Sunday 15 January 2012

The Heart - Pain, Energy, Arrhythmias; Fear.


There is a lot to be said about the heart - as a ‘pump’ - the driving force behind our blood circulation, as a symbol of love, passion, devotion, awe - and when Kundalini strikes it is one of the biggest centres that She governs.
When I Awakened five years ago, my heart went into a major frenzy. The sequence of what is commonly called ‘the spinal sweep’, which is a coined term for the initial rush of profound, intense, life-changing energy which blasts out of the Muladhara Chakra up the Sushumna channel (these terms are explained in other articles) hitting all of the major centres in the body. First the root, then the stomach/kidneys and thus adrenal glands, which causes the glands to release almost lethal amounts of adrenaline. Some call this “adrenochrome” - which is thus far a hypothesized term but is described as: “Adrenochrome is an oxidation product of adrenaline (ephinephrine, norepinephrine). The effects and classification of this drug is said to be controversial because it is debated whether is has any psychoactive or hallucinogenic effects, although some test subjects compared the adrenochrome experience to mild psilocybin and LSD experiences. Psychoactive effects of adrenochrome may include euphoria, confusion, a change in train of thought, lack of judgment, poor insight and inability to concentrate.” There are no scientific studies thus far that confirm the above quote, but many Kundalini-Awakened people use it to describe the effects that the sheer volcano of adrenaline being violently forced into the system.
Adrenaline in itself causes the nervous system to shift into ‘fight or flight’, which amps up the cardiovascular system and thus the heart will begin pumping more quickly. This adrenaline plus the sweep of the Kundalini energies make for a double-dose of rapid-fire heartbeat. When mine happened, my heart was beating so quickly I could not discern singular beats - rather, my heart became a violent vibration in my chest, which caused an overwhelming amount of fear in me that I was going to die. I won’t for the moment discuss what happened when the Kundalini entered my mind as this is not the time, but the sensations therein did not help for that fear to go away.
In Jana Dixon’s Biology of Kundalini website (which I highly recommend if you can stomach all of the technical writing), she discusses another phenomena which can happen in the heart called “Heart Expansions”. She says:
The heart expansions themselves might occur when the parasympathetic gains dominance in the cascade of kundalini activity. They occur during periods of intense bliss, right-brain consciousness and are associated with intense grounding and extreme lethargy. This dive reflex makes more sense than my first explanation, which was the extra grounding needed by the hearts field pulling one into the ground during the massive heart expansion periods that occur. Whatever the cause of the grounding, it must be noted that the extreme pull on the body is relieved by lying for half an hour on the grass or bare earth with ones spine on the ground. This is no doubt a key to understanding the phenomena.”
I have experienced these twice in my K life. Once, when I was riding in my friend’s car down a busy highway and once while I was watching a very touching moment in a film. It felt like an explosion of bliss inside of the heart area (aka the heart chakra area). The energy rush caused my heart to begin beating fast. Because of the sudden onset, I went into fear, which caused my body to want to panic. However, it was not this panic which seemed to be governing my heart’s rhythms. It was this ever-expanding sensation; this radiating pulse of energy going on and on from me in all directions, with my heart in its centre beating faster than a hamster’s.
One can also experience a lot of pain in the heart or the heart centre as Kundalini moves inside of this cavity. There are schools of thought which say that this pain is usually attributed to cleansing and clearing out of this area, just as pain from Kundalini can mean this anywhere else in the body. It is almost always disconcerting, however, and can cause us a lot of anxiety. I have gone to many hospitals and doctor’s offices seeking answers for this, only to be told that they see nothing that could be causing this pain.
Lastly - arrhythmias, irregular heartbeats, also seem to be a persistent and common aspect of the Awakening and Activation processes. For me, though of course it is impossible to scientifically link the two as coming from one source - my palpitations began almost exactly one month before my Kundalini Awakening took place. Since then they have been in existence almost constantly, causing me a lot of worry and grief. I have been, like I said above, to doctors and emergency rooms about this problem, which sometimes feels like I am on the verge of a heart attack and is very, very disturbing. Aside from an apparently harmless palpitation that they can read on their monitors, they say there is nothing anomalous about what they see. Yet here it is, and it happens almost daily.
Again and again the best thing we can do is try and relax and not attach our fears and worries to these things as they happen.
If you have any questions or comments don’t hesitate to contact me.
Namaste.
© Shannon Naithair Teine, 2011.
 Text

No comments:

Post a Comment